Contact Us

(678) 944-8367

Follow Us:

Our Blogs

On our blogs you will find our Tax Sherpa Stories series as well as additional posts covering all manner of tax topics. Some items are timely as there are multiple tax filing dates throughout the year and some items are important larger concepts.

blog image

Can K-1 Losses Be Beneficial? | Tax Sherpa Stories

September 20, 20233 min read

K-1 Losses: Can They Offset Other Income? A Deep Dive

When diving into the complex realm of taxation, one of the most frequently asked questions by entrepreneurs and business owners revolves around K-1 losses. Can they indeed be used to offset other income? Let’s peel back the layers of this intricate topic and shed light on the true possibilities.

Understanding K-1 Losses

First, it's essential to comprehend what a K-1 form represents. A K-1 is the statement of shareholders, income, deductions, credits, and more. It serves those who own a part of a pass-through entity, such as an S corporation or a partnership. With the diverse business structures available, the K-1 form plays a pivotal role in tax declarations for many.

The Critical Question: Basis

When you encounter a loss on your K-1, the first and most crucial question to ask is, "Do I have a basis?" Basis, in tax jargon, essentially represents your investment in the company. This could be the initial investment you made, or it could be increased if you personally guarantee company debt. Conversely, non-recourse debt, such as loans secured by the property itself, generally doesn't enhance your basis.

The Growing Emphasis on Basis

In recent years, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has underscored the significance of basis in tax calculations. This heightened emphasis can be traced back to around 2017 when, during IRS tax forums, speakers began to spotlight the importance of basis to tax professionals. It was a clarion call to ensure that taxpayers and professionals alike grasped its critical role in tax deductions. This focus wasn’t just theoretical; it had practical implications. Today, tax professionals are mandated to include Form 7203 with tax returns. This form serves as a clear demonstration of a taxpayer’s basis, indicating whether it's adequate (or not) to substantiate certain deductions. The inclusion of Form 7203 in tax documentation not only promotes transparency but also ensures that taxpayers and their representatives are mindful of the need to maintain accurate records of their investment in pass-through entities. Given the IRS's increased scrutiny, it's become even more imperative to keep abreast of the nuances related to basis to stay compliant and maximize tax benefits.

The Interplay with Personal Tax Returns

Imagine you report a loss on your K-1. If you have an adequate basis, this loss can potentially impact your personal tax return for the year. If not, it gets "suspended." Suspended losses don't immediately impact your current year tax return but are instead carried forward to future years when you might have enough basis to absorb that loss.

Active vs. Passive: What's Your Role?

Another layer of complexity comes from the distinction between active and passive roles. While an S corp owner is typically an active participant, real estate ventures often straddle the boundary. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has stipulated Passive Activity Loss Limitations, which, for most individuals, cap passive losses at $25,000, though this diminishes as income rises between $100,000 and $150,000. Once your income hits $150,000, passive activity losses drop to zero, pushing them forward to subsequent years.

How Does This Impact Your Bottom Line?

By having the right structures in place, K-1 losses can indeed offset other income types on your tax return. For instance, if you had a W-2 income of $65,000 and a permissible K-1 loss of $8,000, your total income could effectively reduce to $57,000, thus lowering your tax obligation.


The realm of K-1 losses and their tax implications is intricate, but with proper knowledge and strategy, these losses can be harnessed to your benefit. It's imperative to approach this with a comprehensive understanding, ensuring that you maximize potential tax savings legally and effectively.

Tax Sherpa is here to guide you through these financial terrains. Our expertise lies in helping solopreneurs and small business owners navigate these complexities to ensure you make the most of every tax advantage available to you. If you have questions or need further clarification on this topic, do not hesitate to reach out and book an appointment with one of our tax specialists.

Back to Blog

Frequently Asked Questions


What's the difference between tax advisory and just filing my taxes?

Filing your taxes each year is a necessary task, but it is always backwards looking. Tax advisory works with you throughout the year to make sure that you are on the right track when it comes to your taxes and have strategies in place to save money now.


I've heard about tax write-offs for small businesses. What exactly can I write off, and how does it benefit my business?

Tax write-offs, also known as tax deductions, are expenses that a business incurs that can be subtracted from its revenue to reduce the amount of taxable income. Common write-offs include office supplies, mileage, rent for a business location, and advertising expenses, among many others. By writing off legitimate business expenses, you can significantly reduce your taxable income, which can lead to a lower tax bill. It's essential, however, to maintain proper records and ensure that the expenses are truly business-related.


What's the difference between a tax deduction and a tax credit?

A tax deduction reduces the amount of your income that is subject to taxation, which in turn can lower your tax liability. Common deductions include expenses like mortgage interest, student loan interest, and business expenses. A tax credit, on the other hand, is a direct reduction of your tax bill. This means if you owe $1,000 in taxes and have a $200 tax credit, your tax due would be reduced to $800. Some popular credits include the Child Tax Credit, the Earned Income Tax Credit, and credits for energy-efficient home improvements.


I'm thinking of hiring an independent contractor instead of an employee. Are there different tax implications for each?

Yes, there are significant tax differences between hiring an employee and an independent contractor. When you hire an employee, you're responsible for withholding federal and possibly state income taxes, Social Security, and Medicare taxes from their paychecks. You also typically pay unemployment taxes on wages paid to employees. Independent contractors, on the other hand, are responsible for their own taxes. As a business owner, you'd provide them with a Form 1099-NEC (if you pay them $600 or more during the year) instead of a W-2, and they would be responsible for their own self-employment taxes. It's important to correctly classify your workers, as misclassifying can lead to penalties.

Get in touch with us

Have questions? Use the form here and one of our knowledgable staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

  • (678) 944-8367


  • 3900 CROWN RD SW STE 16709

  • Monday - Friday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

Send us a message

Follow Us

Follow Us

Disclaimer: The content presented on this website is intended for informational purposes only and is not tailored to the needs of any specific individual or entity. It should not be considered as financial, investment, or tax advice. The information provided is general in nature and does not account for individual circumstances or financial positions. Before making any financial or tax-related decisions, we strongly advise consulting with a qualified professional who can provide guidance tailored to your individual situation. All information on this site is provided in good faith, but we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness of any information on the site. Use of this site and reliance on its content is solely at your own risk.



Contact Us


  • (678) 944-8367

  • 3900 CROWN RD SW STE 16709

  • Monday - Friday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

© Copyright 2024. Online Tax Solutions Group LLC dba Tax Sherpa. All rights reserved.